Scope is the ratio of the length of the deployed anchor rode to the height of the bow chock above the seabed. The greater the scope the more horizontal the pull on the anchor, and the better it will hold.
To determine how much rope to let out to get a 7:1 scope, you measure the depth of the water, add the boat's freeboard at the bow, and multiply that sum by 7. But, knowing the length won't help you a bit unless you can determine when you have let out that much rope. So, the very first thing to do with your new anchor line is to mark it. You can do this with a marking pen, but short yarns or tapes inserted throughout the strands is more durable and can be identified in the dark by feel.
|BOAT LENGTH (FT)
||ROPE DIAMETER (IN)
|25’ TO 35’
|35’ TO 40’
|40’ TO 45’
|45’ AND UP
||3-STRAND HEAT SET
- NOT INTENDED FOR USE W/ WINDLASS APPLICATIONS
- IDEAL FOR PULLING UP WITH HAND
- FOR WINDLASS APPLICATIONS
- MARINE COATING; PRESERVES THE LINES.
- REDUCED WATER ABSORPTION AND INCREASED ABRASION RESISTANCE
- HARD LAY
- FOR WINDLASS & NON-WINDLASS APPLICATIONS
- EASY HANDLING LINE; FITS IN COMPARATIVELY SMALLER LOCKERS
- TANDEM BRAID; CUBE-SHAPED ROPE; WILL NOT ABRADE OR BECOME FRAYED.
** Presoak 8-Strand prior to use.
|GALV G-43 ISO
||S/S G-43 ISO
- HIGHER TENSILE STRENGTH
- SHORTER ISO SHORT LINK; MORE FLEXIBLE AND IDEAL FOR WINDLASS
- WLL IS APPROXIMATELY TWICE OF COMPARABLE SIZE BBB OR PROOF COIL CHAIN
- HOT GALVANIZED FINISH
- ACCO (BBB) BEND BEFORE BREAK HIGH TEST CHAIN
- HIGH TENSILE STRENGTH; TWICE OF PROOF COIL CHAIN
- ISO LINKS ARE SHORTER; MORE FLEXIBLE AND SUITED FOR ANCHOR RODES AND WINDLASSES
- HOT DIP GALVANIZED FINISH; IDEAL FOR COROSSIVE MARINE ENVIORNMENT
- IMPORTED, STAINLESS STEEL TYPE 316
- DESIGNED FOR WINDLASS; SHORT ISO LINKS
- STAINLESS STEEL; REFINED LOOK
- FITS MANY STANDARD WINDLASSES
** GRADE 43, GRADE 40, HI-TEST, “G4” specifications all mean the same thing.
** Feel free to contact us for chains of different lengths than available online.
NOTE: WHY THIMBLE?
Thimbles are used if you don’t have a windlass, simply attach it with a shackle and use it like a normal line. It gives you the option to disconnect it easily and replace it with a new chain.
Please consult your windlass manual to obtain correct size and type of Rope and Chain.
If any questions contact us.
Call: +1 786-631-1242
** American Rope is not responsible for incorrectly ordered items.